After the earthquake swarm earlier in the day (September 8, 2013), additional seismic movement occurred along the edge of the craton. Another earthquake at an Arkansas injection / pumping operation, as well as earthquakes near Cascade Lake , Yellowstone supervolcano.
- 2013-09-09 03:32:34 UTC
- 2013-09-08 22:32:34 UTC-05:00 at epicenter
- 2013-09-08 22:32:34 UTC-05:00 system time
35.410°N 92.403°W depth=1.6km (1.0mi)
- 18km (11mi) NNW of Greenbrier, Arkansas
- 34km (21mi) N of Conway, Arkansas
- 58km (36mi) N of Maumelle, Arkansas
- 60km (37mi) NW of Cabot, Arkansas
- 73km (45mi) N of Little Rock, Arkansas
Yellowstone earthquake statistics (2.8 magnitude):
- 2013-09-09 01:34:48 UTC
- 2013-09-08 19:34:48 UTC-06:00 at epicenter
- 2013-09-08 20:34:48 UTC-05:00 system time
44.812°N 110.523°W depth=9.8km (6.1mi)
- 45km (28mi) NNE of Old Faithful Geyser, Wyoming
- 104km (65mi) SSE of Bozeman, Montana
- 149km (93mi) NE of Rexburg, Idaho
- 188km (117mi) NE of Ammon, Idaho
- 230km (143mi) SSE of Helena, Montana
As I mentioned above, the movement today in Colorado was a sign of building pressure upon the edge of the Craton (plate). We also saw additional movement near the (newly elevated) ACTIVE volcano at Salton Sea in Southern California, and to top it all off , movement just near Northwest California — near a now active undersea lavic field which exists off the West coast of Oregon.
Summed up, we need to be alert to the possibility of further movement along the edge of the craton in the near term future. No movement yet in the Northeast (Virginia to Quebec / Ontario), this is now something we might need to watch out for — quite simply put, we need to watch the rest of “silent” portion of the craton edge for compensation movement , due to the PREVIOUS displacement over the past week.
Remember, we’ve seen multiple 4.0M+ earthquakes in Texas, a swarm in Colorado, as well as movement at Volcanic areas Yellowstone, Salton Sea, and West Coast CA / OR.
Have an earthquake plan, don’t be scared, be prepared! If mother nature doesn’t give us a sizeable earthquake, it appears humans could also be giving it a swing. The multiple 5.0M earthquakes in 2011 were just the beginning, a sign of whats to come.