Must be some deep mining going on at this quarry. Possibly an old mine collapse?
For sure a LOT of movement going on across the North American Craton, as well as excessive movement occurring elsewhere on the planet today (Pakistan 7.8M + new island rising out of the sea). Also earthquakes occurring earlier today at the fracking operation in Oklahoma.
Notice the craton edge unrest , and full West Coast unrest occurring from Seattle south Salton Sea, CA. Add in Yellowstone to the obvious craton edge movement.
Here are the past 48 hours of earthquakes up to 220pm CT September 24, 2013.
Here are the earthquake stats for the Alabama event:
- 2013-09-24 15:39:46 UTC
- 2013-09-24 10:39:46 UTC-05:00 at epicenter
- 2013-09-24 10:39:46 UTC-05:00 system time
33.688°N 87.325°W depth=1.2km (0.7mi)
- 15km (9mi) WSW of Cordova, Alabama
- 16km (10mi) SSW of Jasper, Alabama
- 39km (24mi) NW of Pleasant Grove, Alabama
- 40km (25mi) NW of Hueytown, Alabama
- 175km (109mi) NNW of Montgomery, Alabama