Seismic unrest again showing in Texas. Again, at the fracking operations in the NE portion of the state.
Today, December 3, 2013 — a 3.4M earthquake struck near Reno, TX. The center south of the craton (plate) edge, which is currently under stresses coming from the WEST.
This was expected. Read about the expectations for frack / injection well earthquakes in this article I put out yesterday. We were expecting Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas to show moderate movement following the 5.5M off the coast of Oregon 2 days ago.
The current 3.4M earthquake occurred in a residential area, which also is peppered with frac / injection wells across the entire region.
click to view full size:
- 2013-12-03 15:44:32 UTC
- 2013-12-03 09:44:32 UTC-06:00 at epicenter
- 2013-12-03 09:44:32 UTC-06:00 system time
32.939°N 97.555°W depth=5.0km (3.1mi)
- 2km (1mi) ESE of Reno, Texas
- 4km (2mi) N of Azle, Texas
- 19km (12mi) WNW of Saginaw, Texas
- 21km (13mi) NNW of White Settlement, Texas
- 280km (174mi) S of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Here are all my past posts on the topic of Frac / injection / induced seismicity :