Good news on the Typhoon in Asia.
Typhoon Neoguri has weakened (currently) into a Category 3 storm, down from the much larger / stronger Cat5 just 2 days ago.
Still set to pass over the main island of Japan, the storm has made a bit of a push further West towards China — currently in the East China Sea, between Taiwan, China, and Okinawa Japan.
Forecast to pass over Japan as a Category 1 storm (less than 100mph winds).
Multiple links below for monitoring this storm, and severe weather around the world:
Current .gif animations from NOAA show “NEOGURI” pressing West towards China (North of Taiwan , Southwest of Okinawa):
Strangely , a 5.0M earthquake struck below this area as the storm came to this location between Taiwan, and Okinawa.
We’ve seen earthquakes occur below MULTIPLE other storms in Asia, and near North America.
M5.0 – 105km SE of Hualian, Taiwan 2014-07-07 23:06:05 UTC
- 2014-07-07 23:06:05 UTC
- 2014-07-08 07:06:05 UTC+08:00 at epicenter
- 2014-07-07 18:06:05 UTC-05:00 system time
23.337°N 122.374°E depth=10.0km (6.2mi)
- 105km (65mi) SE of Hualian, Taiwan
- 141km (88mi) ENE of Taitung City, Taiwan
- 149km (93mi) SSE of Su’ao, Taiwan
- 159km (99mi) ESE of Buli, Taiwan
- 851km (529mi) E of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
As I was putting this post together, ANOTHER 5.7M earthquake has struck, this time the earthquake occurred directly upon the path which “Neoguri” will be heading tomorrow. (an area in Japan which was relatively quiet for the past several weeks / months).
M5.6 – 13km NNE of Shiraoi, Japan 2014-07-08 09:05:26 UTC
- 2014-07-08 09:05:26 UTC
- 2014-07-08 18:05:26 UTC+09:00 at epicenter
- 2014-07-08 04:05:26 UTC-05:00 system time
42.661°N 141.414°E depth=37.2km (23.1mi)
- 13km (8mi) NNE of Shiraoi, Japan
- 15km (9mi) W of Tomakomai, Japan
- 26km (16mi) SW of Chitose, Japan
- 37km (23mi) SSW of Kitahiroshima, Japan
- 788km (490mi) N of Tokyo, Japan
Just a few past examples of the Hurricane / Typhoon / Cyclone / Tropical Storm earthquake connection:
Earthquake beneath Typhoons Francisco and Lekima :
Earthquake beneath Taiwan / Philippines typhoon Krosa :
Earthquake beneath tropical storm at Soloman Islands:
Hurricane Irene may have triggered aftershocks: