A large 6.7 magnitude earthquake has struck Central Chile, a few miles inland from the coast of the Pacific.
No first hand reports are in yet, but I would assume moderate damage has occurred in the region following this event. Expect more aftershocks, and possibly larger earthquakes in the region in the near term.
M6.6 – 18km WNW of Hacienda La Calera, Chile 2014-08-23 22:32:23 UTC
- 2014-08-23 22:32:23 UTC
- 2014-08-23 18:32:23 UTC-04:00 at epicenter
- 2014-08-23 17:32:23 UTC-05:00 system time
32.702°S 71.387°W depth=32.0km (19.9mi)
- 18km (11mi) WNW of Hacienda La Calera, Chile
- 23km (14mi) NNW of Quillota, Chile
- 31km (19mi) SSW of La Ligua, Chile
- 36km (22mi) NNW of Limache, Chile
- 108km (67mi) NW of Santiago, Chile